Saturday, August 27, 2011

What Was One, Now Is Two!

So I started and finished Diana's Monster Moly. This one was fun (like all of them) I decided to put a head on the Serpent Monster and introduce 2 new monsters. I kept it to just 2 pages in this one ( which was kinda tough ) since everyone else had just done 2 pages. I went with an Asian motif . But the monster head is part feline, part fish, with a snake tongue . I wonder if this monster exists yet in the mythologies of the world. I'm sure it does somewhere. Then I started the 2 other monsters out as dragons with a lot of scales. I used a metallic green watercolor on the 2 dragons that doesn't photograph well but looks awesome in person. After drawing this I feel like I should play some magic the gathering or wizards and warlocks or something (2 games I've actually never played in my life) it just has such a fantasy art feel to it.

Well Diana , sorry I have 2 books coming to you on the next shipment. I just realized I never sent Natalie's Music Moly. So you will be getting both of these together. I should be able to send them next week. I hope you guys like it.


Location:Shilshole Ave NW,Seattle,United States

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Creature on it's way! (Ooops!)

So . . . for the last couple of weeks I have been seeing this view as I work in my studio and look to the left. Every time I look over I see the next Moly and my practice Moly where I am trying to work out my distain and frustrations for the paper. Well this morning I was sketching some ideas for Joey's moly, intending to work on it today between binding a couple of sketchbooks, so pulled it over to look again at everyone else's work and to my shock and surprise - it is Diana's finished and un-mailed Creature moly! Sorry . . .

Here is my addition to Diana's Creature Moly. I was so excited to work on the actual Moly paper this time! My drawing is in Sharpie pen with the gears colored in with metallic markers. I kept wanting to add color but none of my "colored added" tests ever looked right, so I just left it mostly black and white. I also wanted the items inside the monster to look scared or uncomfortable, but I am wildly unsuccessful at making those sorts of anguished faces it turns out. So, as my daughter put it - "guess you settle for mystery rather than startling".

At one point while working on my drawing, I decided to add on some small robotic style creatures to my section of the larger creature, but they never seemed to work their way onto the page smoothly. I have left this trio in the pocket at the back of Diana's moly if someone else would like to use one or more - feel free.

Here is the entire length of the Creature so far.
I can't wait to get this one back; after finishing my drawing I had so many different ideas for what I could have added instead. I guess I had artist's remorse, which makes it feel unfinished to me.
It is on it's way Joey - for real this time!